Summary of Qualifications
Part of the core faculty and head of the Movement Department at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts / Hollywood teaching Movement, Dance for the Actor, Period Dance and Musical Theatre for twenty-six years. Part-time faculty at Occidental College and adjunct professor at U. C. Irvine teaching Jazz, Tap and Musical Theatre. Head of the Dance Department at La Salle High School for eighteen years, developing curriculum and teaching several disciplines of Dance and Dance History. Senior Director at Stiletto Entertainment for four years, casting performers, scheduling and coordinating rehearsals, acting as liaison between performers and producers, and directing and/or choreographing several shows for Holland America Cruise Lines. Choreographer of films, television shows, and numerous professional theatrical productions, working with all ages and levels of proficiency. Extensive experience as a professional actor / singer / dancer. Author of The Tap Dance Dictionary, Tap Roots: The Early History of Tap Dancing, The Wicked Waltz and Other Scandalous Dances, and The Man Who Made the Jailhouse Rock: Alex Romero, Hollywood Choreographer.
- M.A. – Visual & Performing Arts – Antioch University McGregor Yellow Springs, OH, 2003
- B.A. – Theatre / Dance – Wesleyan University, Middletown. CT, 1976
- Full Dance Scholarship – Dupree Dance Academy, Los Angeles, CA, 1977-1978
- Extensive training in several disciplines of Dance with emphasis on Tap and Jazz
- Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers
- Screen Actors Guild
- Actors Equity Association
- American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
- American Guild of Variety Arts.
- THE MAN WHO MADE THE JAILHOUSE ROCK: ALEX ROMERO, HOLLYWOOD CHOREOGRAPHER, published by McFarland and Company, Inc., 2013.
- THE WICKED WALTZ AND OTHER SCANDALOUS DANCES, published by McFarland and Company, Inc., 2009.
- TAP ROOTS: THE EARLY HISTORY OF TAP DANCE, published by McFarland and Company, Inc., 2002.
- THE TAP DANCE DICTIONARY, published by McFarland and Company, Inc., 1998.
- ARTICLES: “New York Namesakes,” published in Dance Spirit Magazine, July / August 2002; “Stage Combat,” “Tap on the Silver Screen,” “City Focus: Higher Education,” “City Focus: Professional Studios,” published in Dance Spirit Magazine, November 2002; “Jazz Improvisation” accepted for publication in Dance Spirit Magazine, December 2003.
Awards and Honors
- Signum Fidei Award for Outstanding Service – La Salle High School -– Pasadena, CA –- 2012-2013.
- President’s Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse / The Alliance of Model State Drug Laws – Washington, DC
- Arts Education Outreach Task Force creating programs utilizing the Arts to treat the effects of addiction, 2002.
- Choice Award Winner for Best Academic Text for Tap Roots: The Early History of Tap Dancing, 2002.
- Garland Award Winner for Best Choreography for Kiss Me Kate, 2010, & Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, 2009.
- Stage Scene LA Award for Outstanding Choreography 2009-10 for Kiss Me Kate.
- NYMF Best Choreography Honorable Mention 2008 for That Other Woman’s Child.
- Bright Star Award Nomination – Best Choreography for Crazy for You, 1996.
- Robby Award Nominations – Best Choreography for Me and My Girl, 1991;
- Suds, 1990; La Cage Aux Folles, 1988; That Other Woman’s Child, 1983.
- Handy Award Winner – Best Choreography for La Cage Aux Folles, 1988.
- 1st Place – Duke Ellington Tap Dance Contest (duets) – Shubert Theatre, 1984.